Tuesday, May 6, 2014

"They Ain't Never Seen A Nigger On A Horse Before"


As many of you know,  The Black Jet Lag Project is well underway, and yesterday I had a cyber conversation with a childhood friend of mine over Facebook. He seemed to be confused with my plan, and vehemently implied that it would not be successful, and for just a moment I found myself getting flustered, offended and discouraged. Until I decided to turn those emotions into determination. Until I decided that he would eat his words. Much more than the other cultures, do we as black people make a habit of preying and disheartening our peers when ideas or concepts are unveiled. We watch others live out their fanciful wishes yet feel as if we can not 'play in that arena'. Instead of supporting, we lay and wait for failure so that we can gloat. However, I just want to encourage other innovators, creators and dreamers out there not to be limited by other people's small scopes. Every great  innovator had to go against the grain to bring his ideas to the surface. The masses have always historically been inapt to change, and typically reject new concepts. It can be very hurtful, but as a visionary we must push on.  One day I was really down about the stifling environment I was dealing with at my then work place and how sometimes I realize the empty stare in people's eyes when they interact with me. A good friend of mine, Lawrence Young II, once broke down the concept of a memorable line from the movie D'Jango. There is a scene in the movie in which D'jango played by Jamie Foxx rides into town on a horse beside his white partner. Everyone in the town was struck completely speechless at the sight of a black man riding a horse. His partner noticed the shock and awe and asked D'jango what everyone was staring at. D'Jango simply replied, "They ain't never seen a nigger on a horse before". When I first watched the movie, the profoundness didn't hit me, but once my friend reiterated it for me... I was greatly taken aback. Simply, there may be times in your life in which you are the first expression of whatever you may represent to the people around you. Perhaps you are the first highly educated person of color in a rural community. Maybe you are the first entrepreneur in your family.. Maybe you have dreams of doing things that no one else around you have ever had... whatever you may be, you are the first one they have ever seen, coming into town, destroying boundaries, riding on a horse. I like to think of myself that way... except not a dirty, un groomed person... yet extremely polished and gorgeous riding in on a beautiful flawless white stallion. Shocking and stealing the breath away of all the doubters.... making it clearly evident that all things are possible. May you be inspired by the opposition.... may you continue your journey to victory...

~Afrikan Superstar

No comments: